Sunday, January 24, 2016

Two more pages

I don't think I'm alone in the idea that an art journal page can be a work in progress for quite some time! This next one is a fabric collage inspired by Stencil Girl Thank You For Your Order postcard (have I mentioned I'm addicted to stencils these days?) that came with my recent order. This one was easy since I had all my scrap fabrics still out from the closet door project. Instead of gel medium though I used score tape - a marvelous double-sided tape that comes in lots of widths.

This next is actually my first finished page - I just wasn't sure it was finished until now.
It has a painted background using stencils. The quote is computer generated and the sun? in the upper left is Perfect Pearls (imperfectly applied).

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Closet doors . . . done!

They're sliding doors (originals from the 40's) and were really quite boring in plain white. The project took quite a few hours over 7-10 days (way more than it would have taken to paint them!) and most of a 32 oz jar of gel medium. It was VERY fun and I can't help looking around the house for something else to collage because I didn't use up but a tiny percentage of my fabric scraps . . . but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year and another new project

First, progress on the closet doors. One is finished and back up. The second is in the works and I'm doing it on site because I couldn't take it off without emptying the closet and climbing inside and I just didn't feel like doing that.

First, the finished first one:

Then the finished one hanging and the second one in progress . . . about 40% done.

I'll get a better picture tomorrow - hopefully after a little more work on it is done.

My new project will be the art journal I've been telling myself to get started for over a year now. I am using a Canson Mixed Media spiral bound book. I painted the cover with black tempera paint and used a leaf stencil with green acrylic. I tried to hand letter with a white paint pen and failed miserably so did it on the computer . . . and it looks way better than my chicken scratch/paint blobs.

I have two pages in progress.