Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nesting

Finished this piece today. I'm going to submit it to another local art show (getting brave in my old age) called Artists for a Greener Evanston. Since this was made with all scraps or recycled material, it qualifies for a "green statement". The background is a scrap of upholstery fabric, the tree is paper-fabric made with a scrap of fabric and ripped up pages from old books put together with gel medium. The nest is made with a used color-catcher laundry sheet that I had mopped up a paint spill with and the birds are made of a pair of hand-dyed socks that I wore out the heel of. Binding is from a vintage skirt given to me by a friend who buys vintage clothing for his business and doesn't use all of it. Backing is even a scrap of fabric given to me by a neighbor, so the only "new" parts of the piece are the thread and the batting.

2 comments: